This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

What a disappointment...

Topics: Generic
Oct 2, 2015 at 5:34 PM
A lot of features do not work as expected. If you were going to charge people in order to get a "key" to unlock certain aspects of the program, then you shouldn't advertise it as free. You did a MUCH better job on the old version of the SCCM Client Center (version 2.0.4.2) which still works without issues with the latest version of SCCM to date.
Coordinator
Oct 2, 2015 at 6:13 PM
What exactly does not work as expected ?
Also the "old" version had a "commercial" part, there is no difference... The "Key" is a Gift for all the people that support this Project. You don't have to use it and you don't have to support it...
Oct 2, 2015 at 8:56 PM
The program shouldn't be advertised as free if there are certain aspects of it that are only unlocked if you pay for them. In version 2.0.4.2, the Tools functionality is available without having to pay to get a software key but it is locked down in this version unless someone pays $10. As far as certain features that do not work as expected - when I right click on the ribbon and choose "Show Quick Access Toolbar above the Ribbon", I expect the Quick Access Toolbar to be shown above the Ribbon and a check box to show as that option being checked, not to have to close the program to see the Quick Access Toolbar, only for it to disappear after I connect to a computer. I made sure it wasn't just my PC by trying it on two others with the same result. Another issue is that the new program is much slower to load and refresh than the old one.

You are right - I don't have to use it and I don't have to support it. I just don't understand why you would charge people because you created buttons that run PowerShell commands? I understand you are a programmer and you would like something for your time and efforts, but if you are going to charge for some functionality, you should make that known up front.
Coordinator
Oct 2, 2015 at 10:05 PM
Again, which features are not working as expected ? Define "is much slower to load" (my Version here starts within a second).

If the Quick Access Toolbar is the only Issue you have, then I'm sorry... But you can engage a Developer to fix it..

All Functions that are Part of this Project are enabled and free to use ; But the Setup contains Plugins that are not part of this Project. You are free to not install or remove these Plugins (Documented here: https://sccmclictr.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Customize%20Client%20Center%20Installation&referringTitle=Documentation ).
Oct 5, 2015 at 8:19 PM
It is great for you that your version starts within a second. The version I have here too "starts" pretty quickly as well, it just takes a long time (30 to 45 seconds) to load completely to where the program becomes usable.

I'm a bit confused by your second paragraph above. Are you are saying you aren't a Developer since you would like me to engage one of on my own? I was under the impression that you were the main Developer on this project? If that is an incorrect statement, I apologize. I did read through the Customize Client Center Installation.pdf document you reference above and I have a question regarding #6 where you state "The name of the Donator will be visible in the Title of the Tool. If you want to see your company name, the donation should be more generous." Why would you require a company to donate more money to get the same level of functionality just so that their name shows as the Donator? Requiring a higher donation from a business vs. an individual is basically the same as having home and corporate licensing models - so is it really a license requirement in order to have all functionality vs. a donation?

Thank you for the clarification.
Coordinator
Oct 6, 2015 at 11:53 AM
30 to 45 seconds is definitely too slow… I have seen similar Issues and in most of the cases it was because the verification of the Authenticode certificate took that long… During the startup the tool will load several plugins which are all signed. If you system is now trying to verify each of this signatures ( or the revocation list of the certificate) it can delay the start of the tool. As a first action, you can remove all the Plugin_*.dll Files in the location where the tool is installed to verify if the tool will start quicker… Then also check if you trust the Issuer of the certificate (StarCom Certification Authority) of if you have enforced the CRL check…

I'm the Author of this Project (I'm more a hobby developer). I wrote this tool in my free time to get a deeper understanding of ConfigMgr and I shared the Source-Code to help and allow others to customize the tool. The Project is without Warranty and Support. So if you want to change something, do it... If I get constructive feedback or wishes, I'm always here to help, but If I get the feeling that some thinks he can just blame and requests things without providing real background information, then I'm done, I can do more interesting things in my free time...

Many People understand, that a such a Project requires an investment (e.g. buying licenses for Icons, a code signing certificate and a tool to create an installer... all these things are not for free) and these peoples are willing to donate... Initially I did not specify a "price" but i got more and more donations for a few cents which has generated more effort and costs as it generated Revenue.. That's why I've defined a minimum of 10$ to get the donators benefits (you are still welcome to donate less than 10$)... Then some people started to ask to get different key for sub companies or teams etc. and that's why I decided to show the name of the donator in the Title... If you can donate in the name of your company then I'm fine. If you want that I do some additional work for you, then make a more generous donation to motivate me to do the additional work...

The total Volume of donations within this Project this year is less than a I charge customers for one day Consulting Services... Just if you think that I'm making millions here...

Again: If you have real Issues; provide detailed feedback... this increases the change the someone here is willing to help (maybe)... If you want to support this project because you see that it's more than just a Button that calls a PowerShell command. Make a donation.
Oct 15, 2015 at 3:27 PM
Edited Oct 15, 2015 at 3:28 PM
  1. Is the tool useful, even with 5% of the functions locked to donators only?
    a. if no -> don't use
    b. if yes -> use tool -> See Question 2
  2. Do you wish to use the Donator only functions?
    a. If yes -> See question 3
    b. if no -> Don't donate
  3. Can you afford $10 ?
    a. If yes - Donate $10
    b. if no - don't donate
Marked as answer by rzander on 10/15/2015 at 8:46 AM