Please Add Running Executions and Detect Orphaned Cache Items (which you can then delete)

Topics: Feature Requests
Dec 10, 2013 at 9:35 PM
We rely on two main functions of SCCM 2007 too which are Running Executions and under Cache - Detect Orphaned Items which you can delete orphaned items.

However, with 2012 tool these two appear to either be moved or to be non-existent.

Is there a way to put these back into the tool?

In fact 2007 is superior to the 2012.
Dec 11, 2013 at 6:36 PM
I totally agree. The "Running Executions" feature of the SCCM version was extremely useful since it provided a quick and concise status of any runing advertisement. It was a very simple and easy way to determine what was currently running. Monitoting the "events" does not give the same information since you have to look for individual start and then a correspondig close event. Additionally, all other events clutter the view when trying to determine what is actually running.

Having a seperate function for monitoring events (as currently exists) is extremely useful but, in my opinion, is not a replacement for the Running Executions feature.
Dec 12, 2013 at 12:40 PM
I agree with you guys. For me the Running Executions function is one of the most used function in CC, so I was a bit of a shocked to see it missing from the new version. I really want it back.
Coordinator
Dec 12, 2013 at 4:04 PM
I do fully agree that it would be nice to see all running jobs... But, the WMI Class that was used in SCCM2007 does only work for the old Package Model. It does not provide data for Applications and Updates... The "Software Summary" option is using the CCM_SoftwareBase class (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj902886.aspx) which should give a status of what is going on on the machine (only device, no user based jobs !).

So if someone knows a better place to collect the data to find the running jobs, let me know...
Dec 12, 2013 at 5:55 PM
Thanks for the explaination. It makes more sense now.

However, using the "Software Summary" for monitoring installing products is frustrating because you have to filter on the "status" column (to group them together) and then keep clicking on the reload button to see if they complete. Unfortunately, each time the data is reloaded, you have to re-sort and find the item again.

Since the Software Summary will be where we can monitor the installing jobs, can a filter be added to only show "installing" or "Waiting" when needed? An auto-refresh would be great too :)
Coordinator
Dec 16, 2013 at 9:23 AM
Ok, I will fix the SummaryView to keep the sort order. There was anyway an Issue with the view, because it showed cached data and not actual data after refresh. This will be fixed in v0.0.0.59. Orphaned cache will be implemented after V1.0.0 is published.