Browser Version Cannot Connect to Clients / Usages in Chrome

Topics: Support Requests
Jun 30, 2015 at 5:34 PM
Hey Guys -

I've got a couple of questions about the browser version of CC, please...

When updating to the latest version of the installable CC today, I decided to give the browser version a try as it's how I ran the old version of CC for our department. I downloaded the most recent version, then added it to IIS on our local dedicated distribution point server (Windows Server 2008 R2) using the suggested steps.

Once done, it didn't work which was when I found that "Directory Browsing" was disabled. I enabled it and was then able to load the web page in both a local and remote IE browser. That's when I discovered two issues which I don't know how to resolve with are both are listed below. Any suggestions would be appreciated:

Cannot Connect to Clients
When typing in a client name and attempting to connect, it always fails with "Error: Unable to Connect." I know it's not a client or WinRM issue as I can successfully connect to the same clients with the installable version. Any idea what could be the cause?

Usage in Google Chrome
When I visit the same URL in Chrome (what we all use for default browser), I am prompted to download the file "download.xbap." If I download and run it, it opens a new Chrome tab and automatically prompts me to download the same file again. Is there an easy way to get CC to work in Chrome?

I'd also like to restrict who may connect to the site to an AD user group, but assume that's more of an IIS question than anything else.

Thanks for your help and a great product!
Coordinator
Jul 1, 2015 at 8:00 AM
The Browser Version is not really a "Browser" Version.... it just uses IE as a Tool to present the UI, but the Code is running on your machine... It seems there is a way to enable these WPF XBAP Applications also in other Browsers: http://supersuperclass.appspot.com/xbap-in-browsers.html.

In General, I do NOT recommend the Browser Version. There are many limitations because of the security context of IE.. I recommend the WindowsInstall Installation. That's the only way you can customize your Installation based on your wishes (https://sccmclictr.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Customize%20Client%20Center%20Installation&referringTitle=Documentation)

Regards

Roger