Remote enabling of WinRM

Topics: Feature Requests
Jun 19, 2013 at 9:04 PM
Edited Jun 19, 2013 at 9:05 PM
Hey Roger

My organisation is like most, I feel sure, whereby WinRM isn't enabled by default anywhere.

This means effectively I loose the usage of the tool as I can't connect to any server/client without making a change to it by logging onto it first (which is sometimes not possible).

Given you need admin rights to use the tool to connect to a remote machine, as a thought, would it be possible to add a feature (checkbox?) that if the tool finds WinRM disabled on a remote machine, it enables it, then connects, (and possibly even disables it when it disconnects) using some other functionality (remote PSEXEC etc)?

This way we can use the tool, enable WinRM for the duration we connect to the remote machine, and turn it off again at the end.

Cheers
Paul
Coordinator
Jun 21, 2013 at 9:18 AM
Hi Paul

You mean WinRM is not yet enabled... ;-) ... So you do not have Server 2012 in place?
I agree that most companies are not yet there... But creating a special solution within the tool that enables WinRM on-demand and disables it afterwards does not make sense to me... At the end it's a political decision, does your Company allow you to use WinRM or not... If so, then you should enable and configure WinRM globally (over GPO, with a Settings Management Baseline from CM12 or a Software Package... ) If it's not allowed then you have to wait until you are using Server 2012...

It may be helpful to have an option to fix WinRM if it’s broken… I will think about that...

Regards

Roger